Inside of church

Christ Church, Dublin, is a parish of the Diocese of Georgia. It began as a small group of people in the 1890’s who dreamed of having an Episcopal church in Dublin, Georgia. The present building was constructed in 1898 and consecrated on February 5, 1899 by then-Bishop, The Right Reverend C. K. Nelson. It is the oldest standing public building in Laurens County. The church is built in the shape of a cross, with its interior constructed of heart pine.The parish hall, named for the Walke family, long-standing leaders in the parish, was completed and dedicated in 1956.  The garden behind the church was added in 1994, and the Columbarium and the James Crabb Episcopal Center in 2012.

Christ Church, Dublin, is a part of the world-wide Anglican Communion.  Consisting of over 80 million people worldwide, the Anglican Communion is overseen by the Archbishop of Canterbury.  In the United States, the Anglican Church is known as the ECUSA, the Episcopal Church of the United States of America.  Our presiding Bishop, The Most Rev. Dr. Katharine Jefferts Schori, is chief pastor to 1.2 million members in 17 countries and 109 dioceses (geographical subdivisions). The Diocese of Georgia, of which Christ Church, Dublin, is a part, is made up of six convocations, (geographical subdivisions).  The chief pastor is the Rt.  Rev. Scott Benhase, 10th Bishop of Georgia.  The diocese includes 70 parishes and missions in the southern half of the state, from Augusta to Bainbridge.

Christ Church Dublin is a “parish,” a financially independent church, not dependent on the diocese for support (as is a “mission.  Our clergyman is called a “rector.”  The clergyman of a mission is called a  “vicar.”  The parish is governed by a “vestry,” a group elected by the members of the parish to make decisions affecting the parish’s life and activities, all under the supervision of the bishop.  In all matters of faith and doctrine, decisions are made at the national level by the “General Convention.”  A body of elected lay people and clergy which meets every three years to make decisions for the national church.

Perhaps the one thing that distinguishes the Episcopal Church from others is our use of the Book of Common Prayer.  The first BCP was written by Thomas Cranmer, first Archbishop of Canterbury, almost 500 years ago.  Having undergone numerous revisions in 500 years.  The BCP still prescribes the words and actions that are used in every service in every Episcopal Church in the world. And while the BCP for the United States is different from that in Canada or Australia or Nigeria, each is based on Cranmer’s original, which ensures that any Episcopalian from anywhere in the world will find any service he attends anywhere very much like that he will attend in his local parish.

A typical service consists of 2 parts: the service of the word, and the service of the altar.  The service of the word is made up of four readings from scripture:  An Old Testament reading, a Psalm, a reading from the Epistles, and one from the Gospels.  The readings are prescribed by the “Revised Common Lectionary.”  A list of readings used by Episcopal, Lutheran, Presbyterian, and Methodist churches throughout this country. The Lectionary works in a three-year cycle to essentially cover the Bible during the cycle.

The Service of the Altar consists of distributing to the people the consecrated bread and wine, which we believe are the spiritual Body and Blood of Christ.   This “Holy Communion” is the primary service of worship in every Episcopal church in every country in the world, and its essential parts are easily recognized by any Episcopalian, even though he may not understand the language being used.Altar Guild 001Altar Guild 002

For almost a hundred years, the parish owned land that went ONE FOOT beyond the parish hall.  In the early 1990’s, James Crabb secured title to a vacant lot behind the parish hall, and the garden was built.  A part of the Garden has been set aside as a Columbarium, a place for the interment of ashes.  Presently, there are thirty niches for parishioners who choose to have their ashes placed here.  The Columbarium was dedicated on May 19, 2012.

Completed Columbarium

The house which faces Madison Street is called the James Crabb Episcopal Center.   It is meant to be a place for future expansion for meetings, Sunday School classes, and office space as needed.  It was acquired several years ago and has been refurbished and recently dedicated.  It is a “work in progress.”  Since the furnishings are incomplete; but it is, nonetheless, a testament to our faith in the future of our parish.